This year, I’ve asked a few Phoenix-area musicians/people of interest for their year-end, best-of lists: albums, songs, whatever. This installment comes from good friend Jay Wiggins, who spins under the name DJ Funkfinger at Shake! on Saturday nights at the Rogue, voted Best Hipster Dance Night by the Phoenix New Times.
Jay was also kind enough to host mp3s for all of his selections for his indie-pop top 10 (in no particular order).
• Oxford Comma – Vampire Weekend [3:16]
What can I say that hasn’t been said?
• Ready For The Floor – Hot Chip [3:53]
Caught the last bit of these guys at a festival in San Diego (with
Kevin) – what little I saw made my day.
• Lights Out – Santogold [3:13]
Yeah, this track was selling Bud Light well prior to the album’s
release. I’m a buyer (of Santogold, not the beer).
• American Boy (Ft. Kanye West) – Estelle [4:45]
Played a million times this summer, and I still like it. An essential
• Good Time – Brazilian Girls [3:47]
The name says it all. I get the feeling that it they would be
excellent to see live.
• Bring It On – Little Boots [4:20]
Relatively new to my library, she (Little Boots) put out a mix that I
really enjoyed so I dug deeper and tracked this down.
• Look At Me (When I Rock Wichoo) – Black Kids [4:13]
The chanting at the end of the song is why it made the list.
• Shut Up And Let Me Go – The Ting Tings [2:51]
The short but sweet star of their popular “indie” album.
• Universal Mind Control (UMC) – Common [3:26]
This was the B-side of a pre-album single. The now-released album is
named after this track. Enough said.