This year, I’ve asked a few Phoenix-area musicians/people of interest for their year-end, best-of lists: albums, songs, whatever. This installment comes from Jim Adkins, frontman for Jimmy Eat World, one of this state’s greatest music success stories.
The band, working on its follow-up to 2007′s Chase This Light, will embark in early 2009 on the Clarity x 10 tour, which concludes (fittingly) with a March 7 date at Marquee Theatre.
Frightened Rabbit – The Midnight Organ Fight (Fat Cat).
This was my favorite album of the year. Such a great combination of writing and delivery. One of the best live acts I got to see this year, as well. I am really excited to see what 2009 brings for these guys.
It was too hard to decide a hierarchy for the others, so consider them all close 2nd.
• Ida – Lovers Prayers (LP) / My Fair, My Dark (EP) (Polyvinyl)
• Sun Kil Moon – April (Caldo Verde)
• Calexico – Carried To Dust (Quarterstick)
• Vampire Weekend – self-titled (XL)
• Sigur Ros – Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (XL)
• Little Joy – self-titled (Rough Trade)
• M83 – Saturdays = Youth (Mute Records)
• French Kicks – Swimming (Vagrant)
Here are some of my favorite 2008 songs:
• Sparkadia – Jealousy
• The Walkmen – In the New Year
• The Notwist – Good Lies
• Calexico – Two Silver Trees
• Sun Kil Moon – Moorestown
• Land of Talk – Some Are Lakes
• Frightened Rabbit – The Twist
Favorite albums of 2008
Favorite song(s) of 2008
Guest list: Brian Coughlin of Kinch
Guest list: Charlie Brand of Miniature Tigers
Guest list: Jay Wiggins (aka DJ Funkfinger)
Guest list: Brendan Murphy of Source Victoria