Inspired by the spring cleaning over at tmwsiy* and the warning from my Mac that I must delete files before it explodes, I’m determined to clear out some of these podcasts and things I’ve been stashing. Must … find … hard … drive … space.
First up is this session from Editors on KEXP while the Seattle station was at SXSW. I know what you’re thinking: Editors sound like Interpol … blah blah … like Joy Division … bloo bloo. I suppose it’s true. A couple years ago, that might have really ticked me off, and I probably would have written a band like Editors off before listening (indie-rock snobbery … don’t let it happen to you).
But, you know, who’s writing these rules? So they’re influenced by Interpol. Is that a bad thing? Probably not because Interpol is really damn good (trust me, people, you can’t find this kind of analysis just anywhere). Is it robbery or flattery? I’ll side with the latter. Anyway, I hear Editors put on a pretty superb live show.
My ears also perked up when the guys in the band excitedly referred to Elbow, one of my favorites, as an influence in their interview with KEXP. In fact, Editors recorded a B-side, Let Your Good Heart Lead You Home, under Elbow’s guidance (maybe you can find it here).
Editors, Live on KEXP from SXSW, 3/15/06:
3. All Sparks
5. Fingers in the Factories
In mp3 blogs …
- Eric at Marathonpacks has done it again. That is, put us all to shame. His latest post, on the Beatles, is prolific, insightful and finely crafted. In other words, everything we’ve come to expect from him.
- Bows + Arrows is killing it, too. The latest feature over there, Thinking of a Dream I Had, lets us in on Brian’s sleepytime visions â€“ accompanied by music, of course.
- Hang On To Your Ego has pretty funny Coachella photos.
In sports …
- Phoenix New Times says of Arizona State football coach Dirk Koetter: “Fire Him!”
But then CollegeFootballNews.com says the Sun Devils could be “national title level good.” Oh, who do I believe?!?
- Cubs offense stinks, and I’m tired of it. Six losses in a row. Maybe time for Jim Hendry to rekindle his flame for the Reds’ Austin Kearns?
4 thoughts on “Hard drive overload: Editors on KEXP”
Thanks for the shout man. But damn, Eric’s Beatles post is about the best thing I’ve ever seen. This feels like watercooler talk haha
Also, you got me to finally listen to Editors. Better than I expected!
one time i saw interpol play live. it was like watching cardboard cutouts. thanks for throwing down my phots, i hope people like them.
Editors = good.
Cubs = bad.
Maybe they can pull one out in SD tonight.
Stupid offense. 🙁