A request came last week to convert The National’s in-studio performance on WOXY into mp3s, and who am I to deny such a worthy suggestion? After all, I believe in a democracy. I also believe in The National, which happened to own the top slots in my favorite albums and songs lists of 2005.
The set contains four songs, including an outstanding and energetic rendition of Abel. Also, I’m curious as to anyone’s interpretation of the song Secret Meeting. (Get the lyrics here.) In two interviews I’ve heard, both interviewers talked about listening to that song quite a few times before it really hit them. I have an idea of what I think the song is about, but I’m wondering about anyone else’s translation of the lyrics. Fire away in the comments.
The National, WOXY.com Lounge Acts, 9/22/05:
1. Secret Meeting
2. 90-Mile Water Wall
3. Looking for Astronauts
- I’ll likely offer up my two cents on the Bloc Party DVD, God Bless Bloc Party, for the Sunday Grab Bag. In the meantime, you might wanna hit the group’s Web site for some pretty excellent mp3s.
- You need some more style in your life. You do. So hit my friend/co-worker Carrie’s blog, Spinning Wheels, through The Arizona Republic’s online arm.
- The awesome Brooklyn Vegan has been kind enough to link to this site in the past couple of days, so I just want to return the favor, though my traffic is probably just a drop in the bucket by comparison.
- Special thanks to Dodge (he knows why) for being like a big blog brother to me. He’s got two contests you can enter.
- I Guess I’m Floating is a new addition to the blog roll and for good reason. Those guys are killin’ it over there! You’d do yourself a favor and jump on their 100th post extravaganza.
- With the NFL season dead to me (thank you, Bears) I look forward to baseball: less than a month to pitchers and catchers reporting for spring training. The Cactus League has its own Web site now.